Sunday, December 1, 2013

Trash to Decor - Metal Gutter Fall Mantle Decor


Remember how I was going to blog before Thanksgiving?  Well, clearly that didn't happen, but hey!  At least I was close! 

Even though it's a little late, I couldn't resist sharing some cute fall decorating inspiration. 

Before the Thanksgiving, about that time when pumpkin flavored everything is on the market and shades of burnt orange, mustard yellow, and cranberry are everywhere, I was looking for something to dress up the top of our fireplace.  WHY was dressing up the fireplace so important?  If you're interested, then read below, if not, skip the next paragraph.... 

Somehow, before, during, or after P and I moved from Tucson to Des Moines, we lost the stand for our TV.  Don't ask me how, but we did.  Since we have a strange little corner fireplace, mounting the TV like we had before just wasn't going to work, plus buying a new stand proved to be expensive and not that easy.  Long story short, we ended up having to mount the TV on one wall with a swivel mount and the arm on the mount just isn't QUITE long enough to allow the TV to sit flush with the front of the fireplace.  Although it will likely annoy me forever, what is a girl to do?  Decorate to detract from the mismatched angles and cover up all of the ugly cords and boxes.  

... Anyway... while searching for a way to decorate the top of our fireplace, I found some inspiration at an adorable little store in Valley Junction called Vintage No. 35.  They simply have the BEST vintage/found
object/reworked junk pieces you can find.  While I was browsing for a few other items there, I noticed that one of their display tables had a gorgeous Thanksgiving set up that used an old metal gutter filled with pumpkins, gourds, and other fall items.  I purchased the gutter and started the quest to find items to fill the gutter to decorate our mantle. 

After some searching, finagling, and fluffing, here is the end product:


I must say that I love the end product.  I can't wait to decorate it for the other seasons.

Some of the items I used to decorate the gutter for fall included -
-a long burlap strip to decorate the front
 -large pinecones
-various gourds and small pumpkins
-small wicker and yarn covered decorative balls
-potpourri from World Market (the Mexican pumpkin had great leaves and berry-like elements)   
-decorative moss from World Market and Hobby Lobby
-various sized sticks and twigs
-deer sheds 

For the banner in front I used 1/4" yellow satin ribbon, small clothespins (can be found at Archiver's or Hobby Lobby - generally in the scrapbooking section), laminated burlap cut into triangles, and a black fabric pen. 

Here are a few more pictures of the finished product:

After adding the deer sheds. 

A close-up of some of the items...

Leaves and gourds galore!


Have some metal gutters laying around that you're inspired to use or do you have some good ideas for the winter decor?  Send your ideas!!! 

Happy Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment