Thursday, July 25, 2013

Highly Effective Readers

In new news, I heard back about my job interview and I am now gainfully employed!  I am so excited that everything seems to have fallen into place beautifully with our move back to Iowa.  Starting August 5th I will begin subbing for Language Arts 10 and Composition classes at my new school until the end of the summer session.  Once the fall session begins, I will take over these classes and truly make them mine.  I cannot wait.  Also, I LOVE that I will be teaching in a more alternative school setting.  I can't wait to meet the boys I will be working with.  I am looking forward to having a lot of fun with them. 

Since I have been hanging out for the past week in our apartment with no furniture and since I lack transportation because we sold my car I've been getting a lot done in the teacher preparation department.  I was elated to find out that I would be teaching LA10 and Comp, which means this little pack will come in handy!

This pack was inspired by the article "Teach the Seven Strategies of Highly Effective Readers" on AdLit.com.  You can read their article here.  Ever since I took my Approaches to Teaching Reading Class at the University of Iowa before graduation, I have put a LOT more emphasis on teaching the strategies that students need to become better readers.  So - behold - a bundle that will help every teacher do just that. 

This 64 page pack includes:

-1 "7 Habits" poster
-7 individual habit posters with definitions - activating, inferring, monitoring/clarifying, questioning, searching/selecting, summarizing, and visualizing/organizing.
-4 differentiated activating connections graphic organizers for helping students make text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world connections.
-4 differentiated inference activities including: 1 inference match-up activity with cards and discussion organizer, 1 scenario inferencing activity with cards and discussion organizer, 1 setting inferencing activity with cards and discussion organizer, and 1 what's in the bag large-group inference activity
-1 making inferences graphic organizer
-1 page of monitoring "thinkmarks"
-2 differentiated questioning graphic organizers
-1 finding and revising schema graphic organizer for searching and selecting
-2 differentiated summarizing graphic organizers
-1 visualizing and organizing graphic organizer

*All graphic organizers included contain two copies- one with provided examples and one without examples.

I can't wait to see my new classroom and put these posters up on a bulletin board so I can reference them year round  I'm envisioning lit circles with these graphic organizers, too.  What do you think?  What will you use these documents for?  

An extended preview is posted below for your viewing pleasure.  Like what you see?  Pop on over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store  to purchase this download for yourself!  









No comments:

Post a Comment