Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Planning the Big Day - Our Backstory


Well, my husband and I have been married for almost a year now, so, perhaps this post is a little late, but, better late than never I suppose...

Here's our story:

Last year was a crazy year.  My husband graduated from the University of Iowa in December and I graduated in May.  For any of you that have gone into education, you are well aware of the fact that your last year in the education program is a little hectic.  So between practicum assignments, student teaching, working as much as possible, completing competency tests and all of the rest of my coursework, we decided it would be a good idea to plan a wedding.  Let's just leave it at the fact that things were a little crazy...

I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of person and my parents very much raised me to be this way.  Between my handy dad and my crafty mom, I suppose I picked up a few things along the way, particularly the mantra that if you want the job done correctly, be prepared to do it yourself.  Plus, how else are you going to add your personality to something like a wedding when someone else does everything for you?  There's always the money factor, too.  I'm cheap, there's no way to sugar coat it.  So with a lot of help, time, and elbow grease, the wedding planning began.

We started by booking a venue.  I will say that the venue was probably one of our big splurges.  Since my husband and I were partial to Iowa City (this is where we met, went to school, and were living at the time) we decided we wanted to have the wedding there.  While it would have been great to have our wedding at the church I grew up in, it just didn't seem right.  To me it seemed to one-sided.  Patrick had no connection to this church and it was in my hometown, which, nothing on Muscatine, but it lacked the venues for the reception that we were hoping for. This pretty much ruled out the getting married in a church idea.  Since it wouldn't be a church we belonged to, it just seemed kind of wrong, and so did joining a church for the sake of getting married there.  We ended up settling on Celebration Farms, in Solon, just outside of Iowa City.  This may have been a gamble because at the time we were reserving our date, the site was under construction, but we were able to see the site plans and were promised that we would be refunded our deposit if after the site was complete we weren't pleased.  We ended up loving it!  Since we wanted a smaller wedding, we booked the smaller barn and amphitheater on a Friday.  Yes, a Friday.  Honestly, the decision went back to the price and scheduling.  Everything was cheaper and/or more available on a Friday.  Did this make some family members angry?  Yes.  Were some people not able to make it to the wedding because it was on a Friday?  Yes.  I'll get to my solution for this later.

After we scheduled the venue, of course there's the purchasing of the dress, the showers, the flowers and everything else... just so I don't have a post a mile long, I'll break down the planning tidbits into individual posts.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment